The general world-view of 2020 is that it was shit. In many ways, I agree. However, living in Perth, Western Australia in 2020 had to have been one to the best outcomes. We have been largely unaffected by COVID-19 in terms of community transmission. We had a period of lockdown as a precautionary measure. However, thanks to a combination of geographic isolation, good government and civil obedience we have been able to continue a relatively good standard of life.
The year still seems to have passed by strangely though, without the typical beats that I might expect to see in a year. My mind was foggy about what actually happened in 2020.
I’ve taken the time to reflect on my diary notes and calendar to see what did happen in 2020. I’ve excluded the every-day work stuff, and the typical parenting, kid management things that are a standard part of my existence.
For me, the narrative that 2020 was a complete write-off is not fair. A lot happened in 2020 and much of it has been positive and transformational. The biggest personal change has been the development of me as a ‘podcaster’. I’ve listened to podcasts since around 2005 when Adam Curry hosted his Daily Source Code. To now be producing my own podcast content — a mere 15 years later — has been a blast.
I’m also proud to have established a weekly video call with my friends. I’m proud that I started it, but more proud of my mates for sticking with it. Every week, from March until now, we’ve caught up for a chat. It has strengthened our bonds and been a real highlight of a year that in many other ways has been highlighted with themes of isolation.
So, the following list represents my year in summary.
- Our Standard Poodle, Jeff, died.
- Holidays at a hotel and a caravan park.
- My last interstate airline travel for a work conference in Sydney.
- Outdoor cinema to see Jumanji: The Next Level.
- Outdoor evening event at Perth Zoo.
- Day at a public swimming pool and water slides.
- The arrival of COVID in a serious way.
- Bought my first podcasting gear.
- Started my own podcast, Keep Practising.
- Started a weekly COVID video call catch-up with my friends. This continued weekly for the rest of the year.
- Cancelled our planned trip to the USA.
- Took a bush walk in the hills of Perth.
- Recorded a podcast with Martin Feld and Lounge Ruminator.
- Attended a BBQ with friends. This wouldn’t normally rate a mention, but in 2020 that was something!
- Transitioned to a new employer, but doing the same work.
- Watched every game of The Basketball Tournament.
- Daily podcasts on NBL Pocket Podcast regarding TBT tournament.
- This kicked off my regular role on NBL Pocket Podcast for the rest of the year.
- Built a new friendship with the Trotter family.
- Visited my friend Craig in Bridgetown.
- Started taking Benji to my local coffee shop on a regular basis.
- Committed to regular strength training.
- Launched Hemispheric Views podcast.
- Vacation in Broome.
- Committed to a renovation of our backyard, including construction of a swimming pool.
- My wife Hannah was confirmed as an endorsed candidate in the upcoming Western Australian State Election.
- Death of my Dad, Gary Yates Canion.