On Episode 097 of my podcast Hemispheric Views we held a Duel of the Defaults! competition. Jason and Martin fought head-to-head to see who used the most default apps on macOS. As I was the compere and judge of the competition, it wasn’t for me to speak of my choices during the show.
- Mail Client: Apple Mail & Fastmail Web App (plus MailMate)
- Mail Server: Fastmail & Apple Mail
- Notes: Obsidian (plus Agenda & Apple Notes)
- To-Do: OmniFocus
- iPhone Photo Shooting: Camera.app
- Photo Management: Photos.app
- Calendar: BusyCal (plus Calendar.app)
- Cloud file storage: iCloud (plus OneDrive)
- RSS: Reeder with FreshRSS
- Contacts: Contacts.app
- Browser: Safari (plus Arc)
- Chat: Signal
- Bookmarks: GoodLinks
- Read It Later: Readwise Reader (will be moving back to Omnivore)
- Word Processing: Pages
- Spreadsheets: Numbers (plus Excel)
- Presentations: Keynote
- Shopping Lists: AnyList
- Meal Planning: AnyList
- Budgeting & Personal Finance: YNAB
- News: Apple News (plus ABC RSS feed)
- Music: Apple Music
- Podcasts: Overcast
- Password Management: 1Password
I encourage you to join in the fun, both by blogging your defaults and listening to our show.
2023-11-05 Update with Score
On Mastodon, Jarrod Blundy asked about my score.
I’ve calculated it to be 38!